Chatsworth House is a stately home in Derbyshire, 9 miles (14 km) west of Chesterfield. The seat of the Duke of Devonshire, it has been home to the Cavendish family since 1549.
There have been four Dukes of Devonshire who have previously held the office of Provincial Grand Master for Derbyshire.
William George Spencer Cavendish, 6th Duke of Devonshire took the office of Provincial Grand Master for Derbyshire in 1814 – a role which he undertook for a period of more than 40 years. Known as ‘The Bachelor Duke’ he was also a patron of the Derby Town and County Museum and Natural History Society and was instrumental in the creation of the Derby Museum and Art Gallery. (More Info.)
On 9 May 1858 – Spencer Compton Cavendish – The 8th Duke of Devonshire was installed as Provincial Grand Master of Derbyshire. He also served as the leader of three political parties and declined the offer to become Prime Minister on three occasions. Provincial Grand Master for Derbyshire in 1858. (More Info.)
Victor Christian William Cavendish – 9th Duke of Devonshire – Initiated as a Freemason on 4 March 1890 – became Provincial Grand Master of Derbyshire in 1908. – he also served as the Mayor of Chesterfield 1911-1912. (More Info.)
Edward William Spencer Cavendish – 10th Duke of Devonshire – served in Derbyshire local Government and was appointed a JP for the County in 1918 – he also served as the Mayor of Buxton 1920-1921. Provincial Grand Master for Derbyshire in 1938. (More Info.)
More historical information about the Province of Derbyshire can be read in this issue of The Masonic Illustrated – dated February 1902.
Click Image To Read